Sunday, March 27, 2011

oreo-stuffed chocolate chip cookies

The scene is set; you can picture it in your head the second you try. You're six years old, it's a lazy snow day, bundled up in front of the television watching classic Nick cartoons, reveling in the beauty of the weekend, and suddenly you can smell it.

Immediately, you know what it is.

[It's a no brainer, really.]

Warm, fresh-baked, chocolate chip cookies.

And you don't think you've ever loved your mother more than you do the moment she appears by your side with a plate of hot treats and a tall glass of cold milk in hand.


There are few things in life more comforting than homemade cookies and milk. A source of joy, a reminder of your youth, a cozy memory that brings a smile to your face and a nostalgic ache to your heart.

Today was one of those days where it just felt right to relive that memory.

[Plus, when there's snow still clinging to car windows in the middle of the afternoon in March, it's basically fate.]

We may have been lacking in the milk department, but we made up for it by baking a cookie inside a cookie.


Yeah, I caved. I normally am not big on baking fads *coughcupcakes*, but these were just too intriguing to pass up. That being said, I still think stuffing cake inside of a cookie is nothing short of, ahem, silly, to say the least, and you'll never ever see me baking such a thing.

But Oreos inside chocolate chip cookies? Tantalizing, with just the right amount of bizarre on the side.

Plus, Chelsea and Roods have been dying to make these for ages, so I figured it was now or never. And so, Chelsea, Roods, and Matt came over this afternoon for a baking date, fresh package of Oreo cookies in tow.


Oreo-Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from Very Culinary

You'll need:
  • 1 cup [2 sticks] butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tbsp vanilla
  • 3 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 package Oreo cookies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, cream butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until fluffy. Add in eggs, one at a time, and then vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda. Slowly sift the flour mixture into the sugar mixture on low speed until just mixed. Stir in chocolate chips.

With a cookie scoop or spoon, form small balls of dough. To assemble cookies, place one ball on top of an Oreo cookie, and another ball on the bottom. Seal edges together by pressing and cupping in hand until Oreo cookie is fully enclosed with dough.

Place cookies about one and a half-inch width apart on the baking sheet. Bake for 13-15 minutes, until tops are golden brown. Let cool in tray for 5 minutes, then transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.

To be honest, these look more like miniature chocolate chip scones than actual cookies. And I love it.


I didn't actually eat any [still not eating sugar!], but the look of pure bliss on Chelsea's face, after weeks of sheer anticipation to take a bite, was worth it alone. Matt and Roods also loved em, so I was happy to have provided my KitchenAid to make it happen.

And now I can tuck away yet another baking fad under my belt.

And likely won't be picking up the spatula for another one any time soon.


...but I guess it wasn't too awful.

6 comments:

  1. delicious! Oreo, who doesn't love it?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm not a big fan of oreos but these look good.Yusra would love them

    ReplyDelete
  3. just made these and it was awesome!!!
    needed a little more moisture so i added 2 tablespoons of heavy cream.

    check out a picture on my twitter page i just posted http://twitgoo.com/22bwci

    thanks for the recipe, keep em coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep seeing these and I am trying my best to resist! Your not helping the cause ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just made this, and it was pretty darn good!

    Thanks, for the recipe! =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am doing a series on my blog for the month of November called 30 days of desserts. I came across your blog and would love to feature one of your recipes! You can choose the recipe and I will post it on my blog with links back to your blog. If you have a button, etsy page or fb fan page I can link it up too! Just email me and let me know if you would like to be featured!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading!
I'd love to hear your thoughts :)