Wednesday, November 17, 2010

pumpkin pasties, straight off the hogwarts express

Oh yes. Authentic Pumpkin Pasties, straight from the Wizarding World.

[Oh how I wish that were the case...]


Bet you never knew that pumpkin pasties look like turnovers, did you?
[me neither]

Made these for tomorrow night's premier, along with the Peanut Butter Bonbons. Noosh and I split one of the midget ones, and oh my, they are good.

a thanks to noosh for playing paparazzi for me!

Pumpkin Pasties

For the dough, you'll need:

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tbsp granulated sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 8 tbsp cold butter, cut into pieces
  • 4 tbsp cold water

For the filling, you'll need:
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin [NOT pumpkin pie filling]
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature

To make dough: on low speed, combine flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Cut in butter or add butter and beat on low-medium speed until dough has the consistency of breadcrumbs. Pour in water slowly until dough comes together. Add more water if necessary [though it shouldn't be]. Roll dough into a thick disc, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least one hour.

For filling: on low-medium speed, beat pumpkin, sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon until well blended. Add in cream cheese, increase speed to medium, and beat until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to bake.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Roll dough out to 1/8-inch thickness and cut circles about 5-inches in diameter. [Note: recipe will make 6-7 pastries.] Put a little under a tablespoon of filling near the center of the circle, fold dough in half and pinch down the sides. Use a fork and make grooves to tighten the edges. Using a knife, make a small slit in the top of the dough. Bake for 30 minutes, or until pastry is golden-brown on top.


These were much tastier than I thought they'd be. I altered the original pumpkin filling recipe by adding some cream cheese [what can I say? I love me some cream cheese], and I may have overstuffed them a bit, but hey, more to love.

Though I do wish I had brushed the tops of them with an egg or butter wash so they would have glistened a bit. But in any case, they turned out to be quite a success.


It's taking every ounce of restraint not to eat one, but alas, I will save them for tomorrow. There will be just enough for Noosh, Yusra, Murtaza, Mustafa and I. Perfect.

Oh, not to mention the 28 or so Bonbons that are firming up in the fridge.


I look at these and just imagine that plump little witch on the Hogwarts Express, "Anything off the trolley dears?"

Oh man. My level of obsession is unnerving. But I'm fully okay with it.

Besides, I'm still waiting for my letter to Hogwarts.

2 comments:

  1. ACCIO POMPKIN PASTIES

    ReplyDelete
  2. You actually MADE the pate brisee!!Did it turn out flaky?I'm impressed Sabeen.Can u send one with Yusra for me tonight?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading!
I'd love to hear your thoughts :)