Saturday, December 4, 2010

lemon curd

I've been known to take a spoon to lemon curd and just eat it plain.

no shame.
Over the years, I've come to appreciate [read: love with every fiber of my being] lemon curd. It's a love passed down from mom. She's actually more likely than I am to take a spoon to the stuff [in fact, she's the reason my supply seems to keep disappearing...].

Lemon curd is basically egg yolks thickened with sugar, butter, and lemon juice. As it cools, it turns a beautiful, bright yellow color, and can taste anywhere from slightly tart to full-out tangy, depending on how much lemon juice you use. [I, personally, like mine on the tangy side, because in layer cakes, the frosting is sweet enough to combat the zing from the curd].

I made this share of lemon curd for a layer cake, the recipe for which I'll post up separately.

Lemon Curd
Adapted from Alton Brown

You'll need:

  • 5 egg yolks
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 4 lemons, zested and juiced
  • 1 stick butter, chilled and cut into cubes

Juice lemons to make 1/3 cup lemon juice. If you don't have quite 1/3 cup, pour in enough water (or lemon juice, for tarter lemon curd) until you do.

In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, whisk egg yolks and sugar. Pour lemon juice and zest into egg yolks, and continue whisking. Whisk as egg yolk mixture begins to thicken, about 8 minutes.

Remove from heat and add in butter, one cube at a time, until fully incorporated, whisking between additions. Once lemon curd is blended, pour into a container. Allow it to cool to room temperature, then cover with plastic wrap or lid. Curd keeps well in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, or in the freezer for up to 2 months.

Luckily, I've got a little bit leftover from the cake.

It's in the fridge right now.


Can't promise it'll still be there tomorrow.

1 comment:

Thanks so much for reading!
I'd love to hear your thoughts :)