Friday, September 24, 2010

dulce de leche cheesecake bars

I haven't updated in a while. I also haven't baked in a while. And I didn't actually bake these.

I mean, I did, once upon a time [about a month ago], but I rediscovered the decent photos I took [using Yusra's phone's camera] of these delicious treats. So I figured I'd give you guys something delectable to tide you over until I actually bake something.

Also, I'm sitting at the Toyota dealership while my car is getting his state vehicle inspection done, and I got bored of studying economics. Oh, the beauty of wireless internet. 

Oh, yes. Dulce de leche cheesecake bars.

I love cream cheese. I mean, I am obsessed with cream cheese. Like, my mom is bringing me 6 packages of cream cheese tomorrow when she comes up to Cville [according to her, I go a little 'baking crazy' in the fall and she wants me well-stocked so I don't spend money on expensive baking ingredients. I just love parents]. Anyway, this recipe was a delight to bake because it has cream cheese and two of my other favorite things in the world: chocolate and a graham cracker crust. Ugh. You just know it's going to be pants-splittingly delicious.

Dulce de Leche Cheesecake Bars
For the crust, you’ll need:

  • 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 3 tbsp butter, melted

For the filling, you’ll need:
  • 1 tsp unflavored gelatin
  • 1/4 cup whole milk
  • 1 8-oz packet of cream cheese [always use full-fat]
  • 2 eggs
  • a pinch of salt
  • 1 cup dulce de leche

For the topping, you’ll need:
  • 3 oz bittersweet chocolate
  • 1/2 stick butter, cut into pieces
  • 2 tsp light corn syrup

Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and line and grease an 8x8-inch square pan. To make the crust, combine graham cracker crumbs and sugar until well-blended and slowly pour in the melted butter. Combine and pour onto the pan. Press the crumbs down and spread them evenly across the pan. Bake for 10 minutes and let cool on a rack for 5 minutes.

To make the filling, sprinkle gelatin over the milk and let soften, about 2 minutes. Mix the cream cheese, eggs, salt, and milk in an electric mixer using the paddle attachment until creamy. Slowly add in the dulce de leche and mix until fully incorporated.

Pour the filling onto the cooled crust and spread it evenly. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Let cool on the rack for at least 2 hours, then chill for at least 6 hours.


I really wish I had had my DSLR when I made these. I'm sure the photos would have been excellent.
Still, for a cell phone camera, I feel like they're pretty passable.

I'm so hungry right now. I hope this inspection is almost done. I'm feeling Thai tonight. And maybe a side of cheesecake for dessert.

Like, an entire cheesecake.

Do Thai restaurants sell cheesecake?

1 comment:

  1. Best ever! These bars = highlight of my summer. :) Thanks for posting the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading!
I'd love to hear your thoughts :)